Wednesday 5 October 2011

Happiness Wednesday: Finding Serenity

 (image:avoiceofpraise.blogspot.com)

Dear friends,


Happy Wednesday! We're now half way through the week and I hope you are all feeling well and happy... and if not, I hope today's post will make you smile.


I often want to feel serene, at peace in my life. Finding serenity is very hard to do. Sometimes its good to have a journal to write out our thoughts, getting rid of negative ones and replacing them with positive. Having a positive mind frame is important to finding peace. How else can we find serenity?


I am reading a book on serenity at the moment which says the key to finding it is to visualise yourself in a serene environment. That could be swimming through a pool of serene water, or imagining jolts of serene energy filling your body with peaceful energy. Saying calming mantras also reinforces the effect of visualisation, 'I am calm', 'I am serene in this moment' etc. Hearing the calming words soothes our spirit and mind. The book teaches that we really can choose to react serenely in challenging situations.

This is something I struggle with. I often wonder how can I be serene when I'm in a situation that makes me feel unhappy? Sometimes though we must shut out the unhappy thoughts and replace them with a tranquility of mind. 

Stress, anger, upset are all challenging emotions to overcome. It is important that we feel and live our emotions, that they come out. However, dwelling for too long on a situation we can't change makes life worse. And even if we can change it, being in a negative cycle is really not good for us at all.

One of my personal favourites is the Serenity Prayer,

'God grant me the serenity
To accept the things that I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can
And the wisdom to know the difference'

Being in a serene state of mind is very difficult to achieve at times and must be practised. However, just take a few minutes out of your day to practise serenity and hopefully it will come.

 (image:weheartit.com)

How do you achieve your peaceful state??

xxx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely...I listen to music with no words or go to the ocean and it always leaves me peaceful :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds really interesting. I do a lot of relaxation techniques and focus on my breathing; I tend to often get anxious and these help with that, but also improve my overall health :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your lovely thoughts here! I appreciate every single comment. Lots of Love xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...